Direct integration of CAD in SAP
Siemens PLM Connection Deutschland 2017: Multi-CAD data management with SAP Engineering Control Center – e.g. with Solid Edge and Siemens NX
This year too, DSC was present at the Siemens PLM Connection Deutschland event, which took place as usual in the Lufthansa Training & Conference Center, Seeheim, from July 4–6, 2017. The largest German user meeting for Siemens PLM Software users is aimed not only at IT managers but particularly at users of I-DEAS, NX, Solid Edge and Teamcenter. 800 participants – around 100 more than in 2016 – used this year’s trade conference to get information on new products, solutions, and strategies: in lectures and workshops as well as from exhibitors. Again this year, DSC Software had its own stand. The DSC team presented SAP Engineering Control Center (SAP ECTR), the integration platform for authoring tools. They also presented the standard interfaces SAP Engineering Control Center interface to NX, which seamlessly integrates the CAD/CAM/CAE system in SAP PLM, as well as the integration of Solid Edge, SAP Engineering Control Center interface to Solid Edge. Some of its benefits:
- Opening SAP objects and SAP functions direct in CAD – using an SAP menu integrated in CAD
- Controlled creation and editing of CAD files, as well as exchange with other, such as suppliers
- Fast and simple visualization of CAD models and drawings – even without your own CAD system
- Convenient use of SAP change service, and transparent management of versions, releases, etc.
- Creating/updating neutral formats, BOMs, where-used lists, etc.
- Structured management of all kinds of documents, as well as linking them with each other and also with SAP objects
- Providing real-time product data company-wide and integrating it in business processes
Also shown were DSC’s add-ons for SAP PLM, including NX-specific modules, for example for cloning assemblies and components, the handling of development and product variants, as well as the creation and maintenance of assembly drawings. Plus the management of simulation objects or the creation of CAM data and documents needed for work preparation and manufacture. Further benefits result from the extension of SAP Engineering Control Center by the addition of solutions for tool management, production planning, shop-floor connection, as well as infrastructure and performance optimization. Or also by the integration of further authoring tools – from MCAD tools (Solid Edge etc.) to ECAD systems to MS Office and e-mail programs. All in all, integration has enabled a whole range of options for exploiting and sustainably profiting from PLM potentials: across all company divisions and locations as well as along the entire value-added chain.